March 25, 2009

Opening Mind

I am reading articles about Photography and Abstraction. I slowly digest the info and reasoning and actual conclusions. It also triggers thoughts about my new direction, new photography I'm trying to own, to understand where it comes from. Don't you think it is important? Are we not already saturated with images imposed to us that we should know why we're creating our own.
To top it off we are enslaved via images selling us ideas and ideals of happiness, comfort, and lifestyles that we should strive to reach. The model. They are so well-crafted that some people must really think their lives stink. Brrr! Too bad really.
So I'd like to know why I've gone from documentary style-like to abstract photography. What am I going through here?
Are you in that kind of motion in your artistic area?

AllRightsReserved Copyright 2005-2009 Stephane Themeze Photographer

1 comment:

Paul Pomeroy said...

I think, sometimes, that abstraction in not the primary thing -- not the important thing. Instead, abstraction is simply a good environment for metaphor and it is the metaphor that is what gives a photograph the power to become art.

The right amount of abstraction is important: too little and there is no room for metaphor; too much and metaphor is swallowed up by it. With the right amount, though, the photograph becomes something that is accepting of the viewer's need to explore and discover...